i’m way behind.
and all i have to say for myself is “what the shit?”
how have i not watched this show before? between the fantastic clothes and the blatant stereotypes – i just can’t get enough. not to mention that shitler keeps giving me pointed looks when women are complacently serving the men-folk and he keeps trying to convince me that those were simpler, better times because of it. too bad he was unlucky enough to snag me and instead of making grand dinners every night of the week i go on obsessive bouts of making dozens of batches of champagne cupcakes.
but that’s neither here nor there. because at least he’s getting fucking cupcakes, right?
here are a few things i’ve observed from season one:
1. peggy is a slut. a whiny one.
2. joan is a slut. but i like it.
3. women are stupid as evidenced by this quote: “now try not to be overwhelmed by all this technology. it looks complicated, but the men who designed it made it simple enough for a woman to use.” FYI – they’re talking about a goddamn typewriter.
4. if you’re pregnant you should chain smoke and drink.
5. don draper is a pimp – fucking droppin’ panties left and right.
6. it’s perfectly acceptable to hit another person’s child.
7. drinking at work makes you more productive and is highly encouraged.
i counted how many times people lit up a cigarette in one episode. i gave up after 33.
but regardless of how hilarious the stereotypes are there are some words of wisdom from mr. draper.
my two favorite? these:
“mourning is just extended self-pity.”
“you’re born alone, you die alone, and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. but i never forget. i’m living like there’s no tomorrow, because there isn’t one.”
PREACH DRAPER, PREACH.
there is something i would like to amend. when roger declares that
“we drink because it’s what men do.”
i’d like to be included in that statement. it’s my right.
also – i’ve decided to highlight which characters i would have relations with and which ones i would not.
enjoy. or just “X” out of this blog now. i wouldn’t blame you.
i wish i could say that i was going to spend the weekend watching every possible season of mad men that i could get my hands on – but i can’t. because shitler is out town (this might be the only time i have ever been upset about this) and he would murder me if i watched it without him.
instead – i’ll obsess over the tudors.
shitler called me on his way out of town with this thought:
shitler: all day long i’ve been thinking about more ways i can be like don draper. and i’ve decided that i’m going to go have fun this weekend and you’re going to stay home and clean. this way i’m that much closer.